So, we headed South this weekend! We=me, my husband, and my bloggy-buddy-turned-BFF, Ashley & her husband Ryan. We had wanted to take a trip together, and decided to meet in a new city for all of us–Nashville! Ashley and I had seen a little bit of Nashville when we went to Tennessee to run our half marathon (yes, I do try to work that tidbit of info into every conversation possible. I try to make it all nonchalant, as if running 13 miles wasn’t that big of a deal. It makes me look more awesome. Unfortunately, I’m usually surrounded by someone who then says, “oh yeah! I ran a full.” They always win, and then I look less awesome.) Things that should be noted from our trip:
1) Nashville is hot: triple digits hot. Record breaking hot. Can’t-hardly-breathe-outside hot. I wasn’t the pregnant one of the bunch (though my frequent request for bathroom breaks led some to believe otherwise, *ahem….) and I still felt it. We spent a lot of our day trying to duck into air conditioned places and drinking iced Sbux drinks like it was our job (ha. get it? Like it was my job? I got jokes.)
2) I actually do possess the ability to wear stylish clothes. This ability only presents itself when someone else packs me clothes & accessories and comes to the store with me, watches me try on clothes, and then tells me what to buy. Otherwise, I wear jean shorts and tank tops and call it my “nice clothes.” Both of these things happened this weekend. (See above picture for clothes that are not mine. My exact words were “Where exactly does this belt even go?”)
3) Monopoly Deal is my favorite game of all time. It’s more difficult to play when it’s late at night, 6 hours past my usual bedtime, and I may or may not have been dominated. I also may or may not have learned that coke mixed with amaretto tastes exactly like Dr. Pepper, with the added bonus of making me giggly. Win win.
4) I like bacon. I like bacon sundaes. They are yummy and salty-sweet and you should stop judging me and take yourself to Burger King. If you can’t get there, might I interest you in a bacon bandaid? (True story. Huge candy store in Nashville, some of the weirdest stuff I’ve ever seen.)
5) My husband got skinny. Have I mentioned that? He’s lost 83 pounds and I’m SO proud of him! We bought him some fancy pants new clothes and he looked so dapper on our journey.
6) Raechel is as sweet and kind and delightful as you’d expect from her blog. Additionally, she says adorable things like, “These fajitas are ministering to my soul” that make me love her even more than I thought I did and she is one of the funniest people in the world. There is a whole lot of Rachel packed into a teeny tiny person, and I’m thrilled to know her in real life (even if sometimes I still call her “Raechel Meyers dot com.”)
7) Embassy Suites likes to have animals in their lobby area. This was lovely in Memphis when it was ducks. In Nashville, it was birds. Loud, chirping, wake-up-at-6am birds and I would really like to know whose idea that was. Because it’s not a good one. Fail.
8) I don’t like grits. Even if they are creamy dreamy, and come from places with flying biscuits. I do love grilled mac & cheese, and I DEFINITELY love Keight, who shared both her time and her kids with us while we stayed in Atlanta a bit visiting Geoff’s sister. Keight is real, and hilarious, and I got to know allllll sorts of new things about her. And by that, I mean see all sorts of things about her. The end.
9) I want to move south. I mostly want to move south into a house that is affordable and nice and have a golf cart to drive around everywhere. No joke–Geoff’s sister lives right next to a town that has golf cart trails EVERYWHERE. That is my new dream.
10) I love, love, love my sweet friend. She is lovely and funny and she listens when I whine and pushed through the heat even though she was incubating life, and we had the best time. She helped me shop and we ate tons of food and talked each other’s ears off and I’m so super thankful. I can’t believe next time I see her, she’s going to have a little baby!! I’m constantly amazed at how awesome God is to give us friendships in ways we wouldn’t have expected.
So, this week: settling in, celebrating the 4th, some meeting-ish things, and trying to keep cool. How bout everyone